Jordan has become quite a hit among movie-makers, with more and more blockbusters being filmed in the Hashemite Kingdom propelling the country’s most iconic sites, such as Petra and Wadi Rum, onto the screens of hundreds of millions of fans around the world. The recent surge of Oscar nominated movies filmed in Jordan (in 2016, two Oscar nominees were filmed in Wadi Rum), has led us to create this 3 day highlights of Jordan through the movies tour which takes you on a journey through Jordan with a twist as you’ll retrace the footsteps of the movie-stars themselves.
Jordan through the Movies – Tour Plan
Start from Eilat, Tel Aviv or Jerusalem in Israel, and transfer into Jordan through the Bet Shean Crossing, or from Amman or Aqaba in Jordan.
Meet your guide, who will combine the history and culture of Jordan with the star-studded impact of the movies. First stop in Jordan will be Jerash. Jerash, one of the most impressive ancient Roman cities from history was recently the place where Jeremy Clarkson and his Top Gear co-stars created the sport, ‘Old Testament NASCAR’ racing through the same spots where the Romans raced their chariots thousands of years ago.
After driving south, near the capital of Jordan, Amman, we’ll visit Mount Nebo, where, in the greatest story ever told, Moses viewed the promised land after walking for 40 years in the desert. As sun set approaches, transfer to Petra where you’ll overnight in the village of Wadi Musa, just outside the entrance to the rose red city. If the first day was something impressive, what comes tomorrow will dwarf it dramatically.
At Petra, see the highlights of the site with a specific focus on their movie emphasis: see the Treasury, perhaps most well known from Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade but also featured in Transformers: Revenge of the Fallen. Petra is one of the New 7 Wonders of the World, it’s enormous proportion makes is appear to be simply out of this world, and as such a perfect movie setting. Your guide will take you through the city, past the most iconic shots, and into some of the lesser known nooks and crannies.
Departing Petra, you’ll head south as we transfer to Wadi Rum, the valley of the moon. You’ll stay overnight in our Bedouin Camp, one of the most special places to stay in the valley, and the same camp where Matt Damon stayed for one month during his filming of The Martian (2015) (upgrade to the same suite as Damon is available for extra cost). Incidentally, Damon said of Wadi Rum: “I was in awe of that place, it was really, really special. One of the most spectacular and beautiful places I have ever seen, and like nothing I’ve ever seen anywhere else on Earth”
Head out into the desert of Wadi Rum the following morning, led by our local Bedouin guides who will take you off the beaten track in the ‘valley of the moon’. As locals who grew up here, they are unrivaled in their knowledge of every crack of this desert landscape and able to bring the movies to life as your ride on their open top jeeps across the reddish landscape.
Wadi Rum has become popular in the movies as a lunar-like setting hard to find on Earth, and recently thanks to its similarity to the landscape of the planet Mars. As well as The Martian, where Wadi Rum represented the landscape of Mars, Theeb, another 2016 Oscar nominee, was entirely filmed in Wadi Rum. The red desert of Wadi Rum was also featured in Red Planet (2000) but it is most famous as the filming location of Lawrence of Arabia (1962) which recounted historic events which took place here in Wadi Rum, and was mostly filmed on location.
From Wadi Rum, head south to Aqaba, Jordan’s window onto the Red Sea, and enjoy the markets of this thriving city. For those returning to Israel, cross back into Israel and return to your point of departure.
- This is a private tour available on request for families and special groups. Pricing depends on number of participants, starting and ending location, and any customisations made to the itinerary, but as a rough idea, based on a family of 4 people, price would be approximately $600 per person.
- Standard itinerary includes three days of touring, including all transportation, guiding, and entry fees, and two nights accommodation (night one in 4 star hotel at Petra, night two in Bedouin Camp at Petra) on half board basis (breakfasts and dinners). Price does not include any entry fees and border taxes for those needing to enter Jordan.
- The itinerary can be adjusted to meet your wishes and the nature of your group. For a quotation, please contact us.
|Private 3 day tour (based on 4 traveling)||$ 650
$70 Discount for Children Under 12
- Child Discounts Children up to age 12 save $70 on this tour.
- Student Discounts Students receive a 5% discount on the price per person for most tours. This excludes tours which visit Northern Jordan (Jerash, Amman), and private tours. Students must send a valid student ID card after making their booking in order to validate the discount.
- Hotel Pickup This tour includes pick up and drop off from your accommodation. Dropoff in a different location to pickup is possible.
- Guiding This tour is fully guided, and tour guides are government licensed
- Transportation All vehicles are modern, regulated, fully air conditioned
- Border Tax & Visa The border tax and visa fee is written on the tour description. Most countries do not require a visa to be pre-arranged before travel, as a tour operator we are able to arrange this on the behalf of our customers. To see a full list of countries and visa requirements to Jordan, click here. If your country does require pre-arrangement, please email us when you book so we can advise. (Please note that border taxes should be paid in cash and are paid directly to the government authorities and changes are beyond our control.)
- Languages This tour is conducted in English. Guides can be arranged in other languages at your request (most languages cost $90 per guide).
- Payment Payment for this tour will be made on the day of the tour. If you prefer to pay by cash, please let us know. A credit card will be taken at the time of booking for security, but not charged until the day of the tour.
- Free Cancellation Most tours can be cancelled up to 48 hours before departure without charge. If the tour booking includes flight transfers, accommodation, or other add-ons, we will endeavour to cancel this portion of the tour without charge, however the decision is made by the airline or relevant supplier and we cannot guarantee a refund. With less than 48 hours remaining, tour cancellations are at the discretion of the end operator. No-shows are charged at the full amount.
- Exclusions Tour price does not include border tax which should be paid in cash at the border, tips, or personal travel insurance (which we recommend that all travelers arrange).
- Your tour will be made handled with the experienced local operations team on the ground who we have hand picked. Full contact details for the operations team who are available 24/7 will be provided in your confirmation mail.
- All bookings are subject to terms and conditions.
If you still have questions, please contact us.
This is a group tour but can be customized and taken privately for families or groups. Click here to request a price quote for a private tour.